Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Glorious Grasses

The mod I'm going to discuss today is another beautification mod that is different than something simple like a texture replacer. Due to my overall satisfaction with the official High-Resolution Texture Pack, I doubt I'll be making too many posts that solely focus on replacing textures. But I've been wrong before, so I'll leave the possibility open in case the community comes up with something that pales it in comparison. Until then, though, mods like this one will be much more interesting to me.

There is very little actually wrong with the look of Skyrim. Bethesda really did a terrific job at creating lush and living environments. But there's always more that can be added, which is why this mod is terrific for those that are interesting in taking that extra push forward. Glorious Grasses adds more grass to essentially every area of the game that had grass already. It's hard to say how the author accomplished this task, but it sounds like something that would take a lot of work and a great amount of patience. But the result is very nice and worth the very minor performance hit. Just how much it affects the speed of the game can probably be observed by watching my video.



The mod doesn't add anything that wasn't already in the game, which means its completely compatible with anything the replaces the texture or mesh of the original grass. Because of the lack of new content, it's also very easy to install, since all it is is a single plugin file. I haven't been able to locate the mod on Steam, but if Glorious Grasses caught your eye here, you can download it at your leisure from Skyrim Nexus.

I'll probably continue talking about mods that focus on affecting the atmosphere of the game for the next few posts, but after that I'm still indecisive. I haven't received any kind of feedback on the blog yet, so please don't hesitate to contact me with suggestions! Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Atmosphere-enhancing mods are what I'm most interested in, so this'll be good.

    Feedback. Right. I'm following your blog, but have never commented before. I think the new Skyrim theme is great. And it's so dead because you've been inactive for so long. Keep up and you'll see more viewers coming along.

    Oh, and I was thinking perhaps you should put a "Skyrim Mod:" prefix on the video titles? I think most people (like myself) find this blog by searching YouTube for Oblivion/Skyrim mods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty most of the people that follow the blog tend to be relatively silent, which is a shame, because even simple appreciation makes my day. So thanks a million for finally posting!

      I'll go back later today and edit the titles with the prefix; that's a pretty good idea.

      Cheers,

      ~Matthew

      Delete